Who am I?
Hello, I’m Lucy, a freelance writer who strives for lucidity in all my work – clear, readily understood and just a little shiny.
I’m a qualified copywriter, proofreader and editor. I’m also an NCTJ-qualified journalist, experienced PR manager and established entrepreneur.
I’ve been told I have a way with words. I know my theirs from my there’s and my pronouns from my parentheses. Beyond these basics, I understand business and how the right words can transform the bottom line.
Alongside my freelance writing, I'm a tutor at the College of Media and Publishing, sharing my knowledge and experience to help students worldwide reach their potential.
I live in sunny Salford and work from the home I share with my lovely husband, smiley son and handsome cats.
Experience and education
- Diploma in Copywriting (Distinction) from the College of Media and Publishing (CMP)
- Diploma in Proofreading and Editing (Distinction) from CMP
- Postgraduate Diploma in Newspaper Journalism
- BA in English
- News reporter at the Manchester Evening News
- Agency and in-house PR manager for brands including Marks and Spencer, Smooth Radio and Nissan
- Member of the Professional Copywriters’ Network
What I am
- An entrepreneur
- Picky (with punctuation, not people)
What I'm not
- A corporate suit
- Too serious
- Eye-wateringly expensive
What I like
- Attention to detail
- Crisp, clean copy
- Sole trader success
- Macaroni cheese
What I dislike
- Apostrophe abuse
- Sloppy copy
- Sole trader failure